Saturday, November 17, 2012

Honey and Almond Breakfast Granola

Most breakfast cereal sold at the stores gives me the creeps.  I can't stand to feed it to my kids, so every week I make granola for their breakfast (and my after-work snack).  I've been doing this for maybe a year now, and I think I've got the recipe down.  It's crunchy, not too sweet and bakes up in perfect little clusters.


My favorite thing about making my own breakfast cereal is controlling the sweetener.  I don't like things to be sickeningly sweet and I'm not too fond of the risk of developing diabetes.  I lean toward honey versus white sugar due to its lower glycemic index. Which I won't get in to at the moment...but will in an upcoming post.  It's one of those every little thing counts in small ways things for me. I like to tell myself that all good choices add up to good things that hopefully don't involve pricking my finger multiple times a day.

I find the two ingredients to be easily interchangeable in most recipes.  And granola made with honey is delicious!


This recipe takes only 10 minutes of active time and a few stirs while it bakes.  It's easy!

Breakfast Granola:

4 generous cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup almond flour
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup golden raisins

Preheat the oven to 325F.  Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.

Mix oats, almond flour, slices almonds, coconut and cinnamon in a large bowl.

On the stove top, heat together oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla until the brown sugar is melted.  Stir this warn mix into the oat mix.

Pour it out onto the sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes.  Stir, then bake 20 minutes more.  Stir in your raisins then bake 5 minutes longer or until the granola is dark golden brown.

Cool on the pan.  It will become crispy once it's cool.  Store for a week or so in a container.  I keep mine in a cookie jar on the counter and it keeps crunchy all week.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    sugar free chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really good granola recipe! Lovely photos Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks wonderful...you made it beautifully
    Spices powder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make my own granola too. I don't like the commercial stuff - creepy is the right word for sure. Yours looks delicious. I must give it a try.

    I saw your link on Carole's Chatter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, great pic. thanks for joining the breakfast fun over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this post and shining a light on what
    can be a confusing subject.

    hotels in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the great info you’ve here on this
    post. I can be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.
    Sugar free products

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breakfast should be like this. Almond is good in summer time?
    I guess its best breakfast for winter season.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...